So, you've purchased a Traxxas Stampede 2WD, you've been breaking it in for a few days, and now you are wondering about upgrades. It's only natural, after all, there are a number of changes that you can make to enhance performance, the look, and the overall toughness of your vehicle. How can one resist? The answer is 'you can't' and we aren't going to lie and tell you otherwise. Where one can go astray is selection, however. In this article we are going to discuss our top 5 selections for your first upgrades in order to help you make an informed decision about what you can add next. Are you ready? Let's discuss!
What to choose?
There are actually quite a large number of Traxxas Stampede performance parts. It can get confusing trying to decide what you should add and in what order. To simplify we have put together a list of the top 5 Best Traxas Stampede upgrades that we think that you should obtain first. Let's get started on that list.
Traxxas Stampede 2wd best upgrades
Traxxas has always been very good about letting you customize your vehicles. With so many selections, from engine, to what type of bearings, to the shell you can really make sure that your RC vehicle reflects some of your own personal style. So what should go in there first? Here are our top 5 best picks for your new Stampede:
- Aluminum caster blocks - The toughness of your vehicle is important. Everyone who collects RC vehicles knows that not only are you going to drive it but hey, you are gonna have fun with it. This means jumps high jumps and outrageously sharp turns... you know, action! That's where these aluminum caster blocks come in. Finely machined aluminum casters will increase the strength of your front suspension and help to protect your RC vehicle investment.
- RPM A-arms - Further increase your Stampedes integrity with RPM's A-Arms. You'll need to purchase two sets to install on the truck but the trade-off is quite good. That 20 minutes of work will make your truck lighter by an entire ounce! While some think that aluminum A-arms are the way to go you need to consider the need for flexibility. If you hit an obstacle at high velocity the arms need to FLEX a little. This upgrade will tighten up your suspension and tighten up those hinge pins, all in all a great improvement. RPM does quality work so if you like them be sure to check out their other upgrades for your vehicle.
- RPM Slash 2WD front bumper and skid plate - Head-on collisions can put a quick end to your fun if you haven't prepared your vehicle accordingly. It's just good sense, after all. This upgraded bumper and skid plate will add life to your Traxxas stampede and help to protect it when things get down and dirty. The price is right and they are quick to install so why not start armoring your new vehicle now?
" You will get a solid increase in run time."
- LiPO 2s battery from SPC - Power. It's important in an RC vehicle just as much as it is everywhere else. So why upgrade when you have a perfectly good NIMH stock battery? Well, for one thing, you will get a slight speed boost. The best part, however, is you will get a solid increase in run time. You will likely need to purchase a Lipo charger separately but you will definitely want to invest in the battery upgrade. After all, don't you want to spend more time with your new Traxxas?
- Brushless upgrade (3350R Velineon VXL-3s) - Now we get to one of the best of the Traxxas Stampede 2WD parts. The engine. Why do you want to upgrade to brushless? Pure horsepower, friends. Reports with the NIMH battery state almost 2x their standard speed and with Lipo batteries things start to get crazy fast. Upgrading your engine once you've got it armored up and ready to take a beating is the way to go. Increase your trucks power with this upgrade... you'll be very happy that you did.
- Replace those bushings with bearings - This is another means of strengthening your vehicle. You will want to replace those 4 bushing points on your axle with ball bearings and we will tell you why. Those ball bearings will help to distribute force applied against the axle, boosting the integrity of your vehicle for those amazing jumps and more importantly, those heavy landings. After all, with the battery upgrade you'll be driving longer, with the engine upgrade you will be driving faster, and frankly, you'll be very happy you've armored-up with our other recommendations. Count on it!
- Aluminum bulkhead - Our last recommendation is the final step towards making your Stampede virtually bullet-proof. These bulkheads are strong and generally even in a vicious crash the most that you are going to see is some scratched paint. They also add to the look and style of the vehicle while giving it a bit more weight and durability. This is a good investment for keeping your Stampede in one piece so be sure not to skimp out on this upgrade. Protect your investment and most of all, your fun time!
You can upgrade these in any order that you like or all at once, depending on your time for applying the upgrades and your budget. Sadly, these aren't part of a standard Traxxas Stampede upgrade kit but you can get what you need with our links. Investing in your new piece of RC hardware is part of the fun, as you slowly improve its performance and stability as you learn just what these little monsters are capable of. Once you are armored up and moving at twice or more the regular speed you'll be in for an awesome time. Now, get these parts, install them, and have a stellar weekend. Cheers!