The Parrot AR 2.0 drone is a nice little drone and with the right parts, it can be even nicer. How does one decide what to upgrade, however? For those of you unfamiliar with or newly introduced to this drone we are going to first give you it's specs and features and then we are going to go into the upgrades that can make your new cool drone even cooler. Are you ready? Let's get started.
AR 2.0 Specs and features
The Parrot AR 2.0 elite drone comes with the following default features:
- Dimensions - This drone measures in at 23 x 23 x 5 inches and weighing 4.63 pounds
- Flight time - 12 minutes of flight time with a 1 hour charging time.
- Flight speed - 11 miles per hour
- HD Camera - 720p cam records your adventures for future video or pic viewings. .
- Mobile app - Link the AR 2.0 with your smartphone to record or experience live flights.
- 1 GHZ processor - For faster response to your commands.
This is just a snapshot to give you a general idea about this drone. So what can the AR 2.0 do with higher performance parts? We're glad that you asked!
One of the nice things about this drone is that it fully customizable with a little work. You can replace and upgrade various parts and transform your stock drone into something to be reckoned with. Here are some examples of what you can do:
- Parrot AR drone motor upgrade - Upgrading the stock bushings that come with your drone to shielded ball bearings will make your motor more efficient(and increase your battery life as an added bonus). The reason that the bushings are there in the first place is to reduce the vibrations present in the engine and the ball bearings, being much more efficient, will improve the engines efficiency.
- Increase battery life - You might not know it yet, but there are replacement options on your battery that can extend your battery life a good 8 minutes, for a full 20 minute flight time. Check out the Parrot A.R. Drone 2.0 battery options video on YouTube for more information on your options, you'll be glad that you did.
- Armor up - Adding a carbon base plate to your drone will help you to armor up your current build. Instructions are easy to find on the internet and this is a definite upgrade to consider. There is nothing worse than having a vicious crash end your day of fun and force you to spend either hours repairing it yourself or a week or more in the shop. Protect your investment with a little armor plating. A little foresight goes a long way.
These are just a few examples of what you can do with this model. With Parrot AR 2.0 drone parts being easy to install or upgrade, you've got a lot of choices for improvement at your fingertips. There are also a number of accessories that you can obtain for your AR 2.0 as well. Let's discuss.
Parrot AR drone accessories
Now that we have discussed upgrading AR drone parts, let's talk about the accessories that are already out there! Accessories such as:
- High performance gears - Ultraflight offers replacement gears in neon orange. They are durable and can also make your drone easier to spot if you have to land it a good distance away. Easy to install and under 20$, check them out! View this item on Amazon
- 1500 mAh Lipo battery- This will extend your flight time to 18 minutes with very little effort on your part. 6 minutes doesn't seem like much but you want every minute that you can spend with your drone. This accessory is worth it. View this item on Amazon
"Adding this will allow you to view your flight videos in 3D."
- 3D flight controller - Your Parrot drone has an onboard flight controller. This is the upgrade and it's worth your while. Adding this will allow you to view your flight videos in 3D, a very cool option compliments of the folks at parrot. View this item on Amazon
- Parrot AR 2.0 drone Carrying case Transport your drone in style with a custom-fit carrying case. Designed for your drone, this case is waterproof, airtight, and built to U.S> Military specs. Solid protection for your drone, a good case is well worth the investment. View this item on Amazon
Further upgrades and accessories
As advertised, this model is fully customizable, so it's a great choice for those who love DIY projects or simply wish to learn the ins and outs of taking apart and reassembling their drone You can add all kinds of upgrades, from led lights, even more armor, aesthetic upgrades, and more. One of the bonuses is that the relatively low cost of this drone and all of the upgrade options make it quite appealing for the hobbyist. Sure, some drones out there have snap-on, out-of-the-box type upgrades, but Parrot gives you the chance to feel like a real UAV mechanic. They even have an app for a few of their models called 'Freeflight' that lets you custom-code maneuver paths and more. So if you've never tried a Parrot drone, you should give them a chance. Innovation makes them stick out and we think that you will agree.
We've discussed some hands-on type upgrades as well as accessories for your AR 2,0 drone. The Parrot AR 2.0 might not be the fastest or the longest flying, but that's not always important. It's priced right, performs as-advertised, and with a little bit of attention you can learn some drone repair basics while increasing the fun factor of your product. You don't have to take our word for it, however, just take a look at the reviews! Do yourself a favor as well and do a YouTube search for 'AR 2.0 mods' and feast your eyes on the list of upgrades waiting to be performed. Anyone can buy upgrades, you'll be able to make these YOURSELF.